Thursday 17 November 2011

It's fuckin Baltic!!!!

Well at least I was after spending 2 and a bit hours looking at the Gull at Bempton this aft, dunno what it is yet though.  And to be honest probably never will as it hasn't got a ring on it's leg.  My pics aren't the best so I'll probably go back tomorrow and try for better ones once I've thawed out a bit.

Whatever this bird is it's certainly distinctive enough being in full juv though worn plumage and very small, it's not much bigger than a Common Gull and has very long wings which actually mask how small it is when it's flying round.







Here's a couple of shots of them from Cyprus (albeit in March so 4 months later) to compare





I've probably already seen a Baltic Gull in Yorkshire.  I was in Beacon Ponds hide in July 2004 with John Grist when we found a third cal yr bird which seemed to tick all the right boxes but unfortunately it flew off south before we'd worked out the exact state of moult.  Then again that bird didn't have a ring either so we would still be none the wiser.


No comments: